Sunday, June 6, 2010

Blame it on the genes


Putting my sons to sleep, Nathan said a word that always brings a smile to my face....and I think "What all gets passed down through the genes!". This word gets pronounced in many ways by my two boys....and surprisingly enough, it is one of the first English words they learned.
This word is "Scratch". Nathan is currently at a stage where he says "Katche". Tim used to say "Catch...." and then "Ullile" to indicate he wanted me to scratch underneath his T-shirt.

Now you might wonder "what's so special about scratch?".

For me, it all started with my Dad. Most of the days (even now) we sit down to watch TV or even if he's just sitting and reading, he'll suddenly lean forward and call one of us and asks us to scratch his back. The longer the nails the better......we slowly learned that we could scratch in certain patterns so we cover the complete back very fast and be let off this particular duty.

But, certainly enough....the scratching bug got to me too....Lindo still doesn't understand why I enjoy having my back scratched once in a while....

When the boys a year old or so, I introduced them to the joy of having their backs scratched. I realised that they sleep faster, if you lie down next to them, hum a song and give them a nice scratching on their back....they love it.

Lindo accuses me of getting them into bad habits, but hey! It is really nice....and I have to say that it IS really cute to have Nathan say "Katche...." and turn his back when he's about to sleep.....

No comments:

Post a Comment